Saturday, March 10, 2012

Dreams Deferred

So, I've pretty much decided that I will not be going to Peru this December.....sigh. 

With the extra tutoring and summer school classes I plan on teaching this summer, I could easily scrape the money together.  I could see two friends pledge their lifelong commitment to one another, visit a fascinating country, and learn some Peruvian Spanish.  BUT....

it would not be responsible.  I could use that same money to pay off my credit card loan or a sizeable chunk of my car loan.  I could use it for my emergency fund.  Or as a foundation to start my own wedding budget (C. has been talking wedding plans lately).


The goal is to have most of my debt eliminated in 2 years (before my 30th birthday)--including having a large chunk of my student loans forgiven because I teach at a Title I school.  After that time, I can really focus on saving up for a house and a fantastic international vacation.  Going to Peru would be incredible, but it would defer my goal of living a debt-free life.

P.S.--I have some cheaper travel options up my sleeve anyway....I'll keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment