Wednesday, March 7, 2012

I've Hit a Wall

Today was HARD.  Though I just have two more days (really, 2.5) until Spring Break, I'm already emotionally exhausted.  Two mights of fitful sleep have left me physically drained.

My checking account balance took a huge hit as multiple bills were deducted today.  Meanwhile, though I've been making large additional payments to my credit card, something messed up and the deduction of my largest payment (made at the beginning of last month) is STILL not reflected in my principal balace.  I've been scrimping and saving (and eating more pb & j sandwiches that I care to count) to pay down my debts and save for our new place, and right now I feel like I'm just spinning my wheels.

But this was the hardest thing about today: getting a Save the Date for two dear friends who are getting married in December in Lima, Peru.  These were some of the first people I met in Austin, and I've always dreamed of visiting Peru.  The plane ticket alone would easily cost me a grand.  So now I'm torn between witnessing the nuptials of good friends and visiting a Spanish-speaking country that fascinates me, and doing the responsible thing and using that money to pay off debt and/or save.

I know this is a First World, privileged dilemna to have--use money for debt reduction or travel.  I'm fortunate in that I have always had enough money to meet my basic needs and much more.  I've also been blessed to visit 5 different countries on 3 different continents).  I'm just frustrated with the slooooow progress I've made and the fact that I don't have an extra $1,000 conveniently hanging around for an international trip.

Your Turn: Have you hit a wall in your savings/debt reduction journey?  How do you keep motivated and focused on your ultimate financial goals?  Any suggestions on my conflicting interests?

No comments:

Post a Comment