Monday, May 14, 2012

Updates!




 After a couple of weeks sans computer, I write from my roommate's ancient PC.  This overdue post is 1/3 fun in central Texas, 1/3 debt repayment progress; 1/3 exciting news and changes.

So, this past weekend, my boyfriend C. and I celebrated our two year date-aversary as well as the impending changes we are about to make as a couple.

We went to Fredericksburg, TX, a small Hill Country town proud of its German heritage and renowned for its superb wineries.  We drove 85+ miles on Saturday morning to stay at a bed and breakfast (via travel reward points from a credit card that is used for planned expenses and paid in full EVERY month) and sample wines along Highway 290.

It was an absolutely perfect weekend: riding cruiser bikes in the countryside,  homemade peach cobbler and ice cream, wine tastings at three local wineries, dinner and a soak in the oversized whirlpool bathtub.  And the best part?  We each spent about $75 (including gas) for our getaway.

Onto the debt: Because of said trip and various apartment expenses (application fees, deposits, utility set up fees, etc) debt repayment has not been as impressive this month.  The getaway could have come at a better (or worse) time, but since we had already re-scheduled once due to a family emergency, May 12th was one of the only open weekends.  And apartment fees have only been marginally negotiatble, as Austin's renter population is exploding.  But enough with the excuses, I need to hack away at all other variable expenses to throw at my debt.  I've been crunching the numbers, and should have a modest amount of money left over after moving (in TWO WEEKS!!) that I can chuck at my student loans.

And in other news: I renewed my contract at my school and will be a bilingual elementary teacher next year!  I am passionate about bilingual education and am anxiously awaiting this transition.  And since bilingual education is a high-needs subject in the state of Texas, I will receive a stipend on top of my raise, and will be eligible for student loan reductions in school years.  Though I have a good idea of what my gross income will be , I will mostly likely be waiting until the end of September until I revise my debt action plan.

Nine more school days!  I hope to be a much more active blogger during the summer months when I have ample free time and the relentless Texas heat forces me to stay indoors.  In the meantime, have a great evening!


No comments:

Post a Comment